Gharge- Red Pumpkin Puri




Red Pumpkin Puris - Gharge

Ever since my Grandma noticed that her grand-daughter is fussy about food, she started devising different plans and gimmicks to make me eat all veggies. So every now and then, I was presented with food that was twisted. There would be eggplant hiding in the mixed veg sabji or pumpkins in Koftas and Puris. I would happily gobble down these dishes because of the appeal they made not knowing what was hiding inside it. The other day, while on the phone with Grandma, we spoke about the Red sweet Puris she would make for me. The way I would look  forward to the Pooris when I saw the Red Pumpkin bought from the vendor. I was awestruck of how they tasted, though it had pumpkin in it. The Pooris turned my favourite in no time.




It seems all Moms have developed recipes just so that the child eats all the veggies. So while I was pondering on this topic, I could not remember when was the last time I had Pumpkin Pooris. Pumpkin was added to the shopping list immediately and you might guess what happened next. :D


Sharing the recipe for the ones who are fussy about food or have food finicky kids :)



Ingredients:
  • Oil for Frying.
  • 250 gm red Pumkin
  • 200 gm of Jaggery or cane sugar.
  • 1 cup of Whole wheat flour.
  • 1 tbsp of Sesame seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp of Cardamom powder
  • 1/4 tbsp of salt.
  • Pinch of Cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 tbsp of Carom seeds (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Peel off the skin of the Red Pumpkin and cut the Red Pumpkin into small pieces.
  2. Place a pan on medium flame and add the Pumpkin pieces to the pan.
  3. Cover the pan and let it cook for 5 mins. Do not add any water.
  4. Once the Pumpkin starts getting soft and mushy, add cane sugar or jaggery and cardamom powder. (you can adjust the sweetness as per your convenience)
  5. let the mixture cook on low flame. Turn off the flame after 5 mins and let it cool.
  6. In a mixing bowl, add cooked Pumpkin, sesame seeds, carom seeds, pinch of salt and cinnamon powder. Mix all the ingredients.


  7. Start adding the flour slowly into the mix. Knead the mixture gently to make soft dough.
  8. Once the dough is done, let it rest for sometime.
  9. For frying, in a deep pan, add oil and let it heat on medium flame.
  10. Once the oil is hot, start rolling small Puris.
  11.  I used the simple method- Made one large chapati and used cookie cutter to get Puri out of it.
  12. Its preferable to not make very thin puris because it may burn or become to hard to eat. So a slightly thick Puri will do no harm
  13. Fry the Puris on medium flame.
  14. Serve hot preferably.



 Do try this recipe and let me know if you liked it. :)

Comments

Popular Posts