Raw Mango - Onion Chutney- Kairichi Chutney



Mango season is here!! We can't get enough of the tropical fruit so much that we have experimented to eat it in all possible ways. From pickles, jams and pulps to fruit peels; we definitely believe in the experience of 'har Mausam Aam'.

Being married in a Kannada household, I found out some more varieties to eat mango. One such was sweet and tangy Raw Mango chutney- Kairichi chutney. My MIL has this different way of making Kairichi Chutney. So for the 3-4 months of summer last year, she made this chutney every alternate day because I loooved  it. I used to butter her everyday to make it and she lovingly made it for me :D Eventually, she taught me too and I'm glad I learnt it.

So this year, when I saw raw mangoes peeping out of the fruit section of Indian stores

, I couldn't control myself. I HAD to buy them and make this chutney.

Sharing this unique chutney recipe for those in love with the tropical king of fruits!



    This version of sweet-spicy and tangy chutney will definitely titillate your taste buds. Pair it with Rotis, Puris, bread or rice; you will love how wonderful the taste comes out. I tried as salsa with Tortilla chips too:)




    Ingredients:
    • 1 raw mango 
    • 1/2 onion
    • 1/ cup powdered jaggery 
    • 2-3 chillies
    • 1 tbsp of oil for tempering
    • 4-5 curry leaves
    • 1/4 tbsp of mustard seeds and cumin seeds
    • salt as per taste
    • Pinch of asafoetida
    Instructions:

    1. Cut the raw mango into medium chunks. Peel off the skin of the raw mango if the skin is too hard.
    2. Dice the onion and chillies.
    3. In the mixer, coarsely grind the raw mango, onion, jaggery and chillies.
    4. Temper some mustard and cumin seeds in oil on low flame.
    5. Add the curry leaves when the seeds splutter.
    6. Add a pinch of asafoetida to the tempering.Once done, add it to the chutney.
    7. Mix the chutney well. Adjust salt and jaggery if required.
    8. This chutney is recommended to be stored in the fridge because of the raw onion.

    Comments

    Popular Posts